Bicycle Helmets Available
In Allegany County, there is a law requiring all bicycle riders under age 16 to wear a helmet. The objective of the Highway Safety Program is to increase bicycle helmet use. As a result, low-cost bicycle helmets are available at the health department.
$8 Bicycle Helmet, All Sizes Available.
Please call us at (301) 759-5123 to make an appointment for buying helmets.
*The person for whom the helmet is purchased must be present to be properly fitted.
Quick Tips for Riding a Bike
- Wear a helmet with a hard shell.
- Ride the proper size bike. It should have a bell or horn, reflectors and a headlight for night riding.
- Obey all signs and signals. If someone is unable to read, they should not ride on public roads.
- Do not carry passengers on your bike.
- Drive with the traffic and single file.
- Signal other roadway users.
- Wear bright clothes and make sure you have lights and reflectors on your bike.
- Watch out for storm drains, wet pavement, wet leaves and loose gravel.
- Watch out for cars leaving driveways and parked cars opening their doors.
- Watch out for dogs and other animals.
Rules of the Road
- Expect the unexpected.
- Know what your bike can do and cannot do.
- Inspect your bike. Don't let a break down spoil your day.
- Drive on the right with the flow of traffic.
- Pedal in single file.
- Don't weave in and out of traffic or between parked cars.
- Always ride in a straight line.
- Stop and look in all directions before entering a street from driveways, a curb or another street.
- Maintain control of your bike when traveling downhill.
- Pull completely off the road when you stop to rest or talk.
For more information about Bicycle Safety call (301) 759-5123.